Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Into the New Year

The new year has brought some exciting changes and improvements around here.  But first, let's backtrack to Christmas.

This was hte firs year that Conor really "got" Christmas. And all I can say is So. Much. Fun.  Wow!  Christmas really takes on a whole new meaning when you see it through the eyes of your child.  Every strand of outdoor Christmas lights is reason to pull the car over and ooh and ahh. Every Christmas tree is the most beautiful one he's ever seen.  Every man with a beard or a Santa hat is the big guy himself.  In fact, on Christmas Eve Conor got a special call from Santa himself.  He was having a bit of a hard day and,well, Santa just happened to notice and thought a call was warranted.  Strange how Santa's voice was vaguely familiar...

But the best thing about this particular Christmas was a certain trade Conor had to make with Santa in order to get presents.  His pacifier.  Or passie as it's called around these parts.  We've known for quite some time that it was time for conor to give it up but his dentist assured us that most kids naturally give them up around 3.  Well, Conor didn't seem even slightly motivated so an intervention was in order.  So great that Santa was able to do our dirty work for us. 

Conor left his passie out along with the cookies for Santa and, while Christmas Eve and the next couple nights were a challenge, by New Year's Eve he was completely fine without it.  What a great kid.  As usual, we could have taken it away much earlier if we had given him more credit to handle it.

Now!  On to potty training...

As for Finley, my little nap champion/night time not-quite-a-champion has continued with her excellent nap time habits (2 two hour naps, plus 1 short cat nap in the evening) and added the wonderful bonus of 8 to 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep over night.  Now, because I don't happen to go to bed at 7:30 (although, if I'm being honest, I would if I could) I don't yet get a full 8 hours but I'm up to a good solid 6 so I'm pretty happy about that.

Finally, most of our sleep issues have been resolved.  Now that I've thoroughly jinxed myself, I'm sure I'll be awake all night long.

In other new year news, I've decided that I can no longer wish away any extra weight I'm carrying around.  In the past, if I noticed that I was gaining a few pounds I would sort of pay attention to what I was eating, maybe throw in a workout here and there and presto!  Extra pounds gone. No more, my friends, no more.  (I know, I know, cry me a river, right?)  As of New Year's day, I'm attempting to learn how to eat in such as way that I feel full and also lose weight.  Is that even possible?  I'm on day 4 and I've been eating really well and staying on track nicely however I've been freaking HUNGRY all the time!  Is this how it's supposed to work?

I entered a Biggest Loser style weight loss competition and hopefully the weekly weigh ins combined with the potential to win $700 combined with the possibilty of a very public fat-shaming will keep me accountable.  In addition, as a Christmas present I received a membership to Foot Traffic University which will help me to train for the Foot Traffic Flat Half Marathon on 4th of July.  Again, the accountability will keep me...well accountable.  I also looked at joining a gym today but I just don't know if I want to go that route.  The guy who showed me around the 24 Hour Fitness facility felt more like a used car salesman than a gym employee.  Its just so cold outside and sometimes it's a little lonely (and very easy to stay inside) to run alone.  I need to find a running buddy who somehow also comes equipped with a free babysitter. 

I did not come even close to making my goal of posting every day in December.  Basically I ran out of things to say and decided that in some cases (in most cases?) nothing is better than something crappy.

I hope you all had a great Christmas and a new year filled with lots of really great things.


No comments: