Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving and the Day After

Cinnabon! Yum.

We hosted Thanksgiving at our house this year because it has the best overall layout for many people and because I have TWO OVENS. Yes, a favorite feature of the new house are the double ovens. You can cook a whole turkey (18.5 lbs to be exact) on top and stuffing (which I forgot in the oven and it burned), green bean cassarole, and mashed potatoes on the bottom. Additionally, once dinner is done, you can put a pecan pie in the bottom oven to warm and cook a pumpkin pie in the top oven. One tip, don't set your oven to convect. Turns out it will cook a 18.5 pound turkey in two and a half hours instead of the expected 5 hours. Ooops!

About that turkey...I have to say Morgan made the very best turkey I have ever eaten (sorry, Grandma!). He rubbed a variety of herbs and spices under the skin and basted the bird with olive oil and garlic. About halfway through the cooking process I remembered that I had come across a marinade injector when we moved in. Its basically a big, nasty looking syringe with which you can inject the meat with its own juices from the pan or any variety or sauce or marinade. Not only is it an effective tool for keeping the turkey moist and juicy, but it's a lot of fun to use.

Conor got to eat a little of everything on the table and I think we might feed him turkey every night. That tryptophan is great! He slept from 5:45 until 7:45. A new record.

On the day after Thanksgiving Morgan and I have a tradition of going to the mall and getting our one Cinnabon for the year and generally watching the Black Friday mayhem. Conor was, of course, along for the ride and got his first taste of a Cinnabon. I know, I know, its not exactly organic but it's only once a year so I figure, what the heck!

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your families!


A Cool Panda Bear Rocking Toy at Cost Plus

The table before dinner
The table after dinner

No comments: