Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Big boy bed


Well folks, we've done it. Successfully moved Conor into his big bou bed. I was dreading it in a way that only my pessimistic heart can. We had set the bed up in his room about 6 weeks ago along with his crib. The idea was to read stories on it and play on it until it was no longer a novelty. We finally got a bed rail and were ready to make the switch. And then I got cold feet and delayed it...for another three weeks. You know, just to be sure.

See the thing is that he was waking up every. single. night. It was really annoying. Finally, we figured it was because he was simply too big for the crib. I discovered this on one middle of the night trip when I found him caught with his legs in the crib slats screaming his bloody head off because he couldn't extricate himself. If it hadn't been so pitiful, it would have been funny.

Ok, it was still a little funny.

So, Saturday dawned, and we took out the crib. I cried. Seriously, my baby is no longer sleeping in a crib. Its a big ole rite of passage and while I'm, of course, happy that he is transitioning to more grown up sleep arrangements, its still a little sad.

Saturday afternoon, nap time: Dun, dun, DUN! He was so tired from playing at Auntie Walker's house so we shoved some lunch at him and went to read stories. I was sure, he would freak out. Instead of freaking out...he fell alseep. In like, 90 seconds. And then slept for three hours. Oh it was ROUGH!

First hurdle, cleared, thankyouverymuch!

Our plan for bedtime was to utilize the Super Nanny approach. Put him to bed using regular bed time routine, when he gets out, go in, say nothing, put him back in bed, leave. do this as many times as necessary until he is asleep. Super Nanny, I think, advocates for the child to be sleeping in the bed. We decided that as long as he slept in his room, we didn't care if it was in bed, on the floor, or in the closet. Sleep is the issue here.

I think we made about three trips each to put him back to bed but by 8:05 all was quiet. And HE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT. UNTIL 7:40 in the AM!!!!!! The big boy bed is a miracle!

Last night was a bit more difficult which, I think, is to be expected as we complete the transition, but overall, I couldn't be happier with our little man.

No comments: