Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

I am exhausted today and its just now noon. Conor has settled into a lovely routine of waking up at 6am every morning. It used to be that I would get up at 6:30, Conor would begin to stir around 6:45 and I would get him up and get breakfast going around 7am. It was a wonderful schedule and it worked for us. I got a half an hour to myself to drink my coffee and check emails and he got a good, solid 12 hours of sleep.

So now he wakes up sooo early and is cranky and ready for a nap at 10:30. But 10:30 is too early for a nap because then he would be up from the nap before 1pm and he would be beyond miserable by 7pm which is bedtime.

I'm doing my best to work his wake up time back to 7 but it just isn't working. We tried a later bedtime, first 7:30 then 8. We tried an early bedtime, 6:45 for stories, 7pm asleep. Nothing works. It appears that 6am (or earlier!) is his wake up time. Which, fine. Whatever. Its just the crankiness that gets me. The whining and the throwing himself on the ground and the repeating and the repeating and the repeating and the repeating and the repeating and the repea...

I decided that to kill as much time as possible before nap time, and to avoid a complete loss of sanity at home, we would run every errand I could think of. We:

-went to Starbucks for coffee and a "snack"
-went to Powell's to sell some books
-went to Nana's to borrow some CD's
-went to Winco for groceries
-went to Costco for pictures

On the trip from Powell's to Nana's Conor said "go see Nana" no less than, AND I KID YOU NOT, 50 times! I counted. And actually, he said it way more than that because I didn't start counting until he had already begun to annoy me.

I don't even know where I am going with this. Obviously I have lost the capacity for coherent thought. Perhaps I should go take a nap. After all, I un-lazy'd yesterday cleaned the carpet and cleaned both bathrooms. Seriously. I deserve a break.

No comments: