Sunday, January 24, 2010

Try this recipe

So, I saw a recipe online for homemade granola bars. It was so simple, I had to try it for myself. They turned out so well, I strongly suggest you try them for yourself.

1 Tablespoon dates
3 Tablespoons dried material (nuts, granola, oats, dried fruit, etc.)

Puree dates with food processor or mash by hand until they are a sticky glob. Add whatever dried material sounds good and mush (I found doing it with my hands worked best) until you have a big ball. Press into a pan, or shape into a bar between sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator and eat. The recipe says they are about 220 calories so its either a big snack or a small lunch. I'm definitely taking them to school with me this week.

We used the following mixtures:
dates, dried cranberries, granola, oats, yogurt covered peanuts, cinnamon
dates, peanut butter, crushed graham crackers, raisins, cinnamon
dates, dried apricots, pistachios, almonds

seriously, so, so good. I think this would be a really fun thing for kids to make. Conor wasn't really interested this time (if its not COO-KEES, he's not into it) but maybe in the future. Morgan and I had fun creating though.

I can't say this was actually cheaper than buying pre-made granola bars, but I feel good that I know exactly what went into these treats.

No comments: